Trixbox Upgrade

I have finally got around to upgrading Trixbox onto a new low power consumption Intel Atom computer.
The old machine was a HP D510 desktop with a Intel P4 2Ghz CPU and 512Mb ram. It ran Trixbox 2.6.2.2 flawlessly for the last two years or so. The machine drew about 70-80watts of power which was not really cost effective for the use the machine gets. Trixbox itself does not need much CPU grunt to get it running with a few extns hanging off it so the Atom is the perfect fit.

The new parts:
1 x Intel BOXD525MW Motherboard, Intel NM10, 2xDDR3, VGA, Mini-ITX = $121.90
1 x Kingston KVR1066D3S8S7/2G, 1x2GB, DDR3-1066, PC3-8500, CL7, SODIMM = $21.51
Total $141.25 inc GST

The new machine is a Intel Desktop Board D525MW which has Intel Atom D525 1.8Ghz processor soldered on and relies on the NM10 Express Chipset. It has a fanless heat sink and is complete with Integrated Graphics, Gigabit Ethernet and a single PCI and PCI-E mini slots for any add in cards. I disabled the on-board Audio in bios since it will not be used with Trixbox.
2Gb of Kingston DDR3-1066 Ram has been installed which should be more than enough. I was presently surprised how cheap the RAM was. I already had a spare Western Digital 120Gb 3.5 120GB drive to use. The new machine now uses around 30-40 watts of power.

Trixbox 2.8.0.4 was installed ok however I was left with some challenges.

First off was trying to install the on-board Gigabit Ethernet NIC. For some reason Trixbox detected it as the wrong NIC (a Realtek R8169) instead of R8168B/8111B. Supposedly the later kernel versions resolve this issue.
I managed to get around this by temporally installing a spare 3Com 10/100 PCI card to get the network running to download the latest drivers and installing “Kernel-Devel” and “GCC” to get the drivers compiled and installed.

The second issue was getting my AX-100P Analogue FXO card working. I use this card as an email based answer phone for the analogue POTS line.
Previously on Trixbox 2.6 it used the Zaptel drivers, with Trixbox 2.8 this now uses DAHDI which I hadn’t used before.
I managed to get the card configured automatically using “dahdi_genconf” command and checking the channels where ok. When making some test calls the card would not automatically hang up the line after a message was left. After some more research and trial and error I found out that adding “busydetect=yes” and “busycount=5” into chan_dahdi.conf resolved these issues.

ToDo:
I have installed the mainboard in an old Mid Tower ATX case for now. I need to buy a smaller case for it when I get the chance. Something like a cube home theatre PC case. The only hassle with this is that the AX-100P Analogue FXO card has a full height PCI bracket on it.